Weather: August is as hot as July. The average maximum temperature during the month is 30 °C (86 °F), and the average minimum temperature is about 22 °C (72 °F). Sunny days are scorching. August also sees the second highest amount of rainfall (201 mm) of all months of the year, and it rains most days of the month. But don't worry about typhoons and thunderstorms, because Chengdu is seldom influenced by such bad weather.
Clothing: Summer clothing such as T-shirts and shorts or miniskirts are appropriate. Take an umbrella in case it rains.
Things to Do in August
Sanxingdui Museum: Along with the pandas and natural scenic attractions, Chengdu's museums about the Sanxingdui culture are top tourist attractions. The civilization flourished from about 3,200 to 3,000 years ago, then it disappeared and was forgotten until 1986 when this site was discovered. It is about 40 kilometers from Chengdu's city center. It is easy to reach, and the reward is seeing astounding art and bronze sculptures. They are some of the biggest and best preserved in existence from that time in history. It is amazing and strange art.
Keep cool at the world's biggest mall: The New Century Global Center opened in September 2013. It has become one of Chengdu's main tourist attractions. It is one of the world's biggest buildings. There is an indoor water park, wave machine, and its own sandy beach! Foreign luxury brand boutiques have not moved in, but you'll find middle-priced stores with Chinese brands, hotels, and indoor entertainment such an ice skating rink and theaters.
August is a low travel month.
Since it is hot and there are no major holidays in August, travelers in Chengdu are relatively few. Scenic spots are not crowded, and you can find good discounts on hotel rooms and flight/train tickets.
Popular Chengdu Tours
- 3-Day Visa-Free Essence of Chengdu Tour: Make the most of your time to see lovely pandas and the most essential attractions in Chengdu.
- 5-Day Chengdu and Its UNESCO Neighbors Tour: See the cute pandas, the romantic lanes of Chengdu, and two UNESCO World Heritage Sites — the Giant Buddha and Mount Emei.
Chengdu Climate Information by Month
- Chengdu Weather in January
- Chengdu Weather in February
- Chengdu Weather in March
- Chengdu Weather in April
- Chengdu Weather in May
- Chengdu Weather in June
- Chengdu Weather in July
- Chengdu Weather in August
- Chengdu Weather in September
- Chengdu Weather in October
- Chengdu Weather in November
- Chengdu Weather in December