How to Travel from Hong Kong to Chengdu
Traveling from Hong Kong to Chengdu is a good choice as you can enjoy a visa-free tour. We will now introduce the best way to travel from Hong Kong to Chengdu and give you details about the visa-free policy.
1. Travel from Hong Kong to Chengdu by Airplane (the Best Choice)
Traveling from Hong Kong to Chengdu by airplane is the fastest and most recommended option. You can take advantage of the 144-hour visa-free policy by traveling this way. Hong Kong International Airport offers 10 direct flights to Chengdu every day.
- Duration: 3 hours
- Departure: Hong Kong International Airport
- Arrival: Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport
- Flight schedule: about 10 direct flights per day
- Ticket price: The airfares vary between flights, seasons, and departure times.
- 1-Day Dujiangyan Panda Keeper Program Tour
- 1-Day Chengdu Panda and Sichuan Cuisine Tour
- 4-Day Wolong In-Depth Panda Tour
144-Hour (6-Day) Visa-Free Transit via Chengdu's Airport
Foreign visitors from 53 countries who qualify for the 144-hour visa-free transit policy can fly from Hong Kong to Chengdu and stay for 6 days without a visa.
One of the requirements is that you must transit to a third country. Making a round trip from/to the same country or a special administrative region of China doesn't qualify.
For example, Hong Kong → Chengdu → USA is an acceptable itinerary but Hong Kong → Chengdu → Hong Kong does not qualify for a visa-free itinerary.
Check out more information on Chengdu's 6-Day Visa-Free Policy and Visa-Free Touring.
2. Travel from Hong Kong to Chengdu by Train
There is no direct train running from Hong Kong to Chengdu. If you want to choose this option, you need to transfer in Guangzhou or Shenzhen.
Note: If you choose to travel by train, you need to apply for a visa.
Contact us for a private tour of Leshan and Mount Emei.
By High-Speed Train
The most convenient way is to transfer in Guangzhou.
Guangzhou has 10 direct high-speed trains to Chengdu every day. The journey takes about 10 hours. The trains bound for Chengdu depart from Guangzhou Railway Station and Guangzhou South Railway Station.
We suggest you book a train that departs from Guangzhou South Railway Station because the trains running between Hong Kong and Guangzhou will arrive at Guangzhou South Railway Station, so you can wait for your train to Chengdu there.
Check out Hong Kong–Chengdu High-Speed Trains - Durations, Prices, Stations, and Timetables for further information.
By Normal Train
It is a tiring journey but the cheapest way to travel from Hong Kong to Chengdu.
You should transfer in Shenzhen or Guangzhou. The journey will take about 30–40 hours! We suggest you transfer in Guangzhou because the journey between Guangzhou and Chengdu will take less time - about 28–30 hours.
Whether you choose to transfer in Shenzhen or Guangzhou, you need to pay attention that the arrival railway station from Hong Kong and the departure station to Chengdu are not the same one.
You need to take the transfer time between the two railway stations into account when booking your tickets. Less luggage will make your journey much easier.
Day Trip from Hong Kong to Chengdu (Not Feasible)
The last flight back to Hong Kong from Chengdu departs at 14:40 so it is impossible to have a day trip from Hong Kong to Chengdu.
An overnight stay in Chengdu followed by a day trip is recommended if you have a tight schedule: spend a night in Chengdu and start your tour the following morning.
Book your tickets and private transportation in advance for an efficient travel experience.
Let Us Create a Hassle-Free Tour from Hong Kong to Chengdu
We will help you book your preferred transportation, arrange the private transportation during your visit to Hong Kong and Chengdu, and provide a knowledgeable English-speaking local guide for you.
Check out our most popular tours in Chengdu:
- 2-Day Wolong Panda Cub Keeper Program Tour: Have the opportunity to interact closely with panda cubs as you bottle-feed them, supply them with bamboo, and clean their enclosure with your own hands.
- Chengdu Beyond the Pandas: Take advantage of this 1-day city highlights tour to experience the charm of Chengdu's unique and long-standing culture.
- Or let us tailor-make your unique tour according to your interests and requirements.