Name: Chongqing (重庆; Chóngqìng (/chong-ching/)
Meaning: "repeated celebration"
Previous names: Jiang, Yu, Gong
- One of the biggest municipalities in the world
- Big inland port on the Yangtze River above the Three Gorges Dam
- Heavy industry center that utilizes the power from the Three Gorges Dam
- Yangtze River cruises
- Three Gorges, Dazu Grottoes, Wulong Karst Region, Ciqikou Old Town, Fengdu Ghost City, Lesser Three Gorges, Zigong Dinosaur Museum, Three Gorges Museum
- Most popular souvenirs and local products: Shu embroidery (Sichuan style embroidery), Jiangjin Rice Confection, Fuling Pickles
- Most popular food: Red chili hot pot
The city sits at the confluence of the Jialing River and Yangtze River. The rivers made it China's biggest port city in the southwestern region.
- 316 BC The Qin Empire conquered the area.
- 1891 The city was opened to foreigners.
- 1997 The government merged Chongqing with several surrounding districts and made Chongqing a very large municipality. The Three Gorges Dam opened.
- Significance of city: It is an inland port city far inland, and access to cheap power and cheap labor makes the city a leader in heavy industry.
- Nearby cities: Chengdu (268 km/166 mi), Guiyang (306 km/190 mi), Zunyi (192 km/119 mi)
- Municipality terrain: the city sits on many hills on the Sichuan plain at the confluence of the Jialing River and Yangtze River.
- Average altitude: 237 meters (778 feet)
- Main rivers: Yangtze River, Jialing River
- Municipality Location: 28 °10'N to 32 °13'N, 105 °17'E to 110 °11'E; southwestern China
- City location: 29.33N, 106.34E
- Municipality Population: 28,846,170
- Municipality Area: 82,401 sq km (31,815 sq mi)
- Average highest temperature in August: 34 °C (93 °F)
- Average lowest temperature in January: 6 °C (42 °F)
- Monsoon-influenced humid subtropical climate; annual precipitation: 1,140 mm (45 in). The city is known for hot and humid summers and smog.
- Average annual income: 23,909 RMB (3,554 USD)
- Development: developing; the government plans to make Chongqing and Chengdu develop quickly.
- Industry: 37.9% tertiary industry (services), 52.8% secondary (heavy industry: mainly automobiles, steel, aluminium and military equipment), 9.3% primary (agriculture, mining)
- CBD: Central Park (31.31N, 120.66E) in the Suzhou CBD
- Shopping streets: Jiefangbei Pedestrian Street, Shapingba Three Gorges Walking Street, Guanyinqiao Walking Street