The Ping An IFC, Shenzhen 一 China's 2nd Tallest Building
The world's fourth-tallest building is planned to open in 2016 in Shenzhen after delays. The Ping An IFC Tower is 115 stories or 555 meters (1,821 feet) to the roof and is a premier Shenzhen tourist highlight.
- Height to roof: 555 meters (1,821 feet), 115 floors above ground and 5 below ground.
- Total height: A 45 meter high antenna makes the total height an even 600 meters (1,969 feet).
- Completion: 2016.
- Cost: about 678 million USD.
- Special features: world's 4th tallest building, China's second highest building, world-class observation deck at 550 meters (1,804 feet).
Special Tourist Highlights
One of the world's highest observation decks: Tourists can enjoy the view from the deck on the 114th and 115th floor. The 115 floor deck sits at 550 meters. This is only 5 meters less than the Burj Khalifa's 555 meter deck and 11 meters lower than the one on the Shanghai Tower. It is 123 meters taller than KK 100's 427 meter high deck.
Tallest in Shenzhen: The building dwarfs the 442 meter KK100 building four kilometers away, Shenzhen's tallest building until 2015. It will be about 108 meters (354 feet) taller than the Shanghai World Financial Center and the Taipei 101 too.
World's 2nd tallest hotel: Some of our tourists might enjoy a stay here at the luxury hotel in the top floors. As of 2016, only the Ritz Carleton in the ICC Tower in Hong Kong that is at 484 meters (1,587ft) is higher. It is higher than Shanghai Tower's J Hotel that was the second highest hotel.
Massive twin tower complex: The building will be enormous. A second 47 story tower is being built next to it that will connect to the main tower by a bridge on the bottom floors that has a mall. This second part may open in 2018.
Big ritzy mall: Along with the main tower, a five story mall is being constructed that connects the retail stores in the shorter South Tower with the main tower.
World class elevators: Schindler built 80 Schindler 7000 double deck elevators.
The complex was designed by Kohn Pedersen Fox. Construction of the main tower began in 2009 and that of the smaller tower began in 2014. Originally, it was to be China's tallest building and taller than the Shanghai Tower. But the planned height obstructed airplane flight paths, so a tall mast on the top was removed.
There was a controversy regarding the use of sea sand for concrete in 2013 which caused a delay. It was constructed relatively rapidly in 2014. One floor was added every four days.
Special High Tech Design
The building is built according to a recent innovation in very high skyscraper design. Like the rest of the world's tallest buildings built in the last several years, instead of having a simple steel girder framework for a skeleton, it has a thick concrete core. Along with the thick central core, there are 8 super-columns that reinforce the frame.
Building in Shenzhen is difficult because structures must be designed to resist typhoons. It is one of the big cities in the world most at risk for typhoon wind damage.
It is a showcase of 21st century engineering. The tower was also built unusually economically. The total cost of about 700 million USD is less than that of the much shorter KK 100 and compares well with the 2.4 billion USD for the Shanghai Tower.
- Address: Intersection of Fuhua and Yitian Road, Futian CBD, Shenzhen.
- Subway transport: You could take Subway Line 1 (罗宝线) from Luohu border to Gouwu Gongyuan 购物公园 (Exit D) for Ping An Tower.
- The night lights and sunset scenes are amazing from the top floors, but in rainy and foggy weather you can see little.
Discover the New Shenzhen for Yourself
See Shenzhen's modern wonders and laid back style. More tourists are going to Shenzhen to visit the new very tall buildings, new luxury malls, bargain shopping centers and the amusement parks such as Window of the World.
- 4-Day Guangzhou and Shenzhen Tour includes going to the Window of the World. Tell us, and we can easily include dining at a high gourmet Ping An Tower restaurant, perhaps for lunch or dinner.
- We arrange everything: Entry tickets, visas, accommodations, and any transport tickets are arranged in advance for you. Contact us to go on private tour with us or to stay at luxury hotel in Ping An Finance Center.
Simplify your Shenzhen transportation by hiring a private driver. It could be the best option for speed and efficiency. A private driver and/or English-speaking guide/interpreter is helpful aid. It is the most convenient and pleasant way is to travel. You can arrange for our driver to wait for you at the airport, train station or your hotel.