Tibet Reopens for Travel!
Have you been dreaming of a Tibet tour for a long time? It's time to restart your travel plans now. Tibet has reopened to China expats after being closed for more than a year. The first Travel Permits in 2021 were officially issued on August 27th.
Contact us now to plan your tour and prepare your Tibet Travel Permit documents in advance. Don’t worry about canceling. We allow free cancellation for any reason up to 24 hours before departure.
Contact us via WeChat: chinahighlightstour
The Tibetan base camp is not as cold or bleak, being more than 3,000 meters lower at 5,200 m, below the snow line, with daytime temperatures above freezing from spring to fall.
The weather is on average 12°C (22°F) colder than in Lhasa. Though often sunny, and even almost warm in the summer, the temperature drops more than 10°C (18°F) at night.
Before you plan your tour, learn about the weather and choose a good time to go.
Best Time to Go—May and October
- Daytime temperature: 5 °C (41°F)
- Nighttime temperature: -7 °C (19°F)
- Wind speed: 4 kph (6 mph)
- Precipitation/month: 15 mm (0.6”)
- Sunshine hours/day: 7
>>Also read the best time to go Best time to Visit Tibet
Why to Go Around May or October
When camping or hiking the dry season is best. These two periods are ideal time to visit Mount Everest when the ice melts by the afternoon, the daytime temperature is above freezing, and it hardly rains.
These periods have most clear days, giving you the best chance to see the peak of Mount Everest. In clear weather the night sky will show a spectacular view of the stars.
Monsoon Season—June to September
- Daytime temperature: 10 °C (50°F)
- Nighttime temperature: -5 °C (23°F)
- Wind speed: 8 kph (5 mph)
- Precipitation/month: up to 190 mm (7½”)
- Sunshine hours/day: 4
Mt. Everest is Usually Covered by Mist in Summer
Summer is a good time to travel other places in Tibet, due to the warmer weather, but it's not the best time to go to EBC, as Mt. Everest is usually covered by mist/cloud.
There's much less chance of seeing the summit, and rainy weather may cause rock/mud slides or flash floods, blocking your way.
Winter Time—November to April
- Daytime temperature: -5°C (23°F)
- Nighttime temperature: -15 (5°F)
- Wind speed: 14 kph (9 mph)
- Precipitation/month: 5 mm (0.2”)
- Sunshine hours/day: 7
Quiet and Beautiful, but Freezing Cold
Winter in Tibet is snowy, icy, and windy. It's very cold to camp on EBC, tent hostels are struck, and the way to EBC is sometimes shut due to inclement weather.
However the icy scenery is quite beautiful in the mostly clear, dry, frigid weather, and it's less crowded.
If you are interested in traveling Tibet in winter, check out our popular tours below for inspiration:
- 4-Day Lhasa Highlights Tour — Visit the most spectacular sites in Lhasa.
- 5-Days Lhasa Classics and Lake Yamdrok -Tour — See Lhasa’s highlights and a lakeside picnic nearby Tibetan holy Lake-Lake Yomdrok.
- 7-Days Tibet Tours by Train from Xining — Experience the new Tibet railway, enjoy the most mysterious and beautiful area in the world.
- 8-Day Lhasa and Everest Base Camp Tour — Welcome to the roof of the world — Mt. Everest .
Not interested in the above tour? See our most popular Mount Everest small group tours, or You can tailor-make your own unique tour by telling us your interests and requirements. We will help you design a perfect trip.