Besides some famous rivers, lakes, and mountains, China also has a large number of beautiful waterfalls . These waterfalls attract thousands of visitors every year. China Highlights has listed five beautiful waterfalls in China.
1. Hukou Waterfall
- Location: Yan'an City, Shaanxi Province
- Tour: tailor-make your own tour of Shaanxi Province
Hukou Waterfall is the second largest waterfall in China after Huangguoshu Waterfall. It is located on the Yellow River at the intersection of Shanxi Province and Shaanxi Province.
The name "Hukou" means "Teapot Mouth" as the yellow waters pour down like tea from a giant teapot. Hukou Waterfall is famous as a spectacular waterfall, and the only famous yellow waterfall in the world.
2. Huangguoshu Waterfall
- Location: Anshun City, Guizhou Province
- Tour: Scenic Tour to Huangguoshu Waterfall
Huangguoshu Waterfall is the largest waterfall in China, located on the Baishui River (白水河). It is one of the most typical and spectacular Karst waterfalls in the world.
It is 67 meters high and 83.3 meters wide pouring down over a sheer cliff into the Rhinoceros Pool. There is a naturally formed cave located in the cliff behind the waterfall, which is named Shuilian Dong (Water Curtain Cave).
3. Detian Waterfalls
- Location: on the border line between China and Vietnam, Daxing County, Guangxi Province
- Tour: tailor-make a new tour, including visiting Detian Waterfalls
Detian Waterfall is a transnational waterfall, located on the Guichun River, straddling the Sino-Vietnamese border. The water flows into Vietnam and then flows back into Guangxi.
It is the largest transnational waterfall in Asia and the fourth in the world. The spectacular Detian Waterfall is a national super attraction, pouring down in three layers, and turning between towering old trees.
4. Jiuzhaigou Nuorilang Waterfall
- Location: in the north of Sichuan Province
- Tour: Jiuzhaigou and Munigou Tour
Nuorilang Waterfall is located in Jiuzhaigou, the nature reserve and national park of Sichuan Province. It is one of the large travertine waterfalls and drops down 20 meters. It is 270 meters wide, the widest waterfall in China.
Nuorilang is a transliteration of the Tibetan. It means "god", as a symbol of height and majesty.
- 3-Day Jiuzhaigou and Huanglong Highlights Tour
- 6-Day Essential Chengdu and In-Depth Jiuzhaigou Tour
- 7-Day Chengdu, Mount Emei and Jiuzhaigou Scenic Tour
5. Luoping Jiulong Waterfall
- Location: Luoping County, in the east of Yunnan Province
- Tour: Lijiang and Magnificent Tiger Leaping Gorge Tour
Jiulong Waterfall is located on Jiulong River in Luoping County, Yunnan Province. Jiulong Waterfall is divided into ten layers, and each layer is different: some are turbulent, some are beautiful, some are open, some are hidden. They are in various shapes and totally different characters. The scenery changes with the seasons and the currents.