Jiuzhaigou is located in the north of Sichuan Province. It is a picturesque fairyland featuring fabulous natural scenery of colorful lakes, spectacular waterfalls, and mountains. Chengdu, located 400 kilometers away from Jiuzhaigou, is the best gateway to the area. Read our information below to find out how to get to Jiuzhaigou from Chengdu.
Chengdu to Jiuzhaigou by Airplane
Getting to Jiuzhaigou by airplane from Chengdu is the best and quickest way to travel. Currently, Chengdu offers one or two direct flights to Jiuzhaigou.
Jiuzhaigou has reopened on Setember 27. Flights from Chengdu to Jiuzhaigou arrangements vary according to the travel season. In the peak season (from April to October), there will be about 4 flights traveling between Chengdu and Jiuzhaigou. In the low season (from November to March), there will be one or two flights.
- The flight information will vary from time to time. You'd better check out the offcial websites of Sichuan Airlines or Air China for latest information.
- 1-Day Dujiangyan Panda Keeper Program Tour
- 1-Day Chengdu Panda and Sichuan Cuisine Tour
- 4-Day Wolong In-Depth Panda Tour
Jiuzhai Huanglong Airport to Jiuzhaigou Scenic Area
Jiuzhai Huanglong Airport is located about 88 kilometers away from Jiuzhaigou Scenic Area. There are three ways to get to the scenic area.
- By taxi: The cost is about 200 yuan for a one-way trip and it takes about 2 hours to reach the valley.
- By airport shuttle bus: There are shuttle buses running between the airport and Jiuzhaigou Scenic Area at a cost of 45 yuan. Sometimes, you may need to wait for a while as the buses won’t depart until all of the seats are taken.
- By private car: This is the best and recommended way to travel. Your local guide will pick you up after you arrive at the airport and a private car will escort you directly to your destination.
Contact us for a private tour of Leshan and Mount Emei.
Chengdu to Jiuzhaigou by Bus
Taking a long-distance bus is an economical way to travel and you will head directly to Jiuzhaigou Scenic Area. The journey takes about 9 to 10 hours and is not as comfortable as taking a flight.
There are two main bus stations in Chengdu with buses running to Jiuzhaigou. Check with the station staff that your bus will stop at Jiuzhaigoukou (九寨沟口), which is near the scenic area (and not just the county).
From Xinnanmen Bus Station (新南门车站) in Chengdu
- Location: It’s about 2 kilometers southeast of Tianfu Square (which is in the city center) and costs about 10 yuan to get there by taxi. It is near Exit C at Xinnanmen Station on Metro Line 3.
- Price: 158 yuan
From Chadianzi Bus Station (茶店子车站) in Chengdu
- Location: It’s about 8 kilometers northwest of Tianfu Square and costs about 25 yuan to get there by taxi. It is near Exit D at Chadianzi Bus Station on Metro Line 2.
- Price: 157 yuan
Chengdu to Jiuzhaigou by Train
Currently, there are no trains running to Jiuzhaigou from Chengdu. The Chengdu–Lanzhou high-speed railway is now under construction. When it is finished at the end of 2020, there will be a high-speed train available from Chengdu to Jiuzhaigou with a journey duration of about 2 hours.
FAQs about a Chengdu to Jiuzhaigou Tour
1. Which is the best type of transportation to take from Chengdu to Jiuzhaigou?
It depends on your time and budget but we recommend traveling to Jiuzhaigou from Chengdu by airplane. Two or three days for a trip from Chengdu to Jiuzhaigou is enough if you take a flight while one more day is needed if you travel by bus. There is no need to spend an extra day on the road as the road is bumpy, the environment on the bus is bad, and you won’t have a good experience.
2. Will I get altitude sickness in Jiuzhaigou?
Most scenic spots in Jiuzhaigou are under 3,000 meters, with only Long Lake and Jianyuan Virgin Forest being at about 3,060 meters. Jiuzhaigou is rich in vegetation and people generally do not suffer from altitude sickness. A few people may be a little uncomfortable when arriving but you will feel better after a night's rest. If you're still worried about altitude sickness, you can take some medicine in advance.
3. Where should I stay in Jiuzhaigou?
We recommend staying in Zhangzha Town, which is closest to the entrance for Jiuzhaigou Scenic Area. Zhangzha Town has a wide range of accommodation, from 5-star hotels to budget hostels. If you have no idea how to choose a hotel, you can contact us for help. We are happy to give you suggestions according to your requirements and travel schedule.
- 2-Day Wolong Panda Cub Keeper Program Tour
- 2-Day Wolong Red Panda Keeper Program Tour
- 4-Day Wolong In-Depth Panda Tour
Explore the Fairyland with Us
You can use our Create My Trip service to tell us your interests and needs. We will tailor-make a unique tour for you. See our recommended Jiuzhaigou tours: