Guilin is a popular destination for natural landscapes. Now it's 72-hour (3-day) visa-free transit for 51 countries.
You can stay here for a short visit before heading to a third destination. Read on to get some ideas for visa-free travel in Guilin.
Travelers from 51 countries with an onward flight from Guilin to the third country/region are able to benefit from this policy.
Americans (of 6 countries): the United States, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, and the Republic of Chile
European citizens (of 37 countries): Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Russia, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Montenegro, Macedonia, and Albania
Oceanians (of 2 countries): Australia and New Zealand
Asians (of 6 countries): South Korea, Japan, Singapore, Brunei, the United Arab Emirates, and Qatar
FAQs about 72-Hour Visa-Free
1. Do I need to submit an application to the Embassy?
- You don’t have to submit an application. When you arrive at Guilin Liangjiang Airport, Immigration Department staff will direct you to the visa-free access check point, check your passport and onward flight tickets (and hotel and tour bookings) to make sure that you meet the requirements of the policy. After that, your passport will get a Guilin 72-hour visa-free permit stamp showing the date you arrive in Guilin and when you must leave by.
2. Does a travel agent apply for the visa-free access, or do I have to do so personally?
- You have to do this personally and the procedure is very easy (see question 1). But you should obtain documentary evidence of an itinerary from a permitted Guilin travel agent, including which hotel(s) you will use and where are you going, in case the Immigration Department ask for that.
4. How the 72 hours are calculated?
- The 72-hour limit is calculated starting from 00:00 the day after arrival. For example, if a traveler arrives at Guilin Liangjiang Airport on August 1, 2019, the visa exemption period is calculated starting from 00:00 on August 2, 2019. The traveler must leave Guiiln Liangjiang Airport before 23:59 on August 4, 2019 on an international flight.
5. Can I leave Guilin for another city in China which is also 72-hour visa-free during the 72-hour-transit visa exemption period?
- No, the range of travel during the visa exemption is limited to the administrative area of Guilin Prefecture. This includes Yangshuo and Longsheng counties, but not any other China cities, or anywhere over the prefecture border.
6. What should I do if I cannot leave China within the 72 hours due to some unforeseeable circumstance?
- In case of a special need to stay in Guilin Prefecture longer than 72 hours, a passenger should apply for the relevant visa to the Exit-Entry Administration Department of the Municipal Public Security Bureau of Guilin (桂林市公安局出入境管理部门 Guilin Shi Gong'an Ju Chu-Ru Jing Guanli Bumen).
How to Spend Your 3 Days in Guilin
Guilin's top attractions are all accessible with this policy: the Li River, Yangshuo, the Longji Terrace Fields, etc. Just don't go outside Guilin Prefecture to e.g. the Sanjiang Dong Minority area (in Liuzhou Prefecture).
For layover passengers, most people chose to stay in Guilin City for one day and spend the rest of the time in Yangshuo. For tourists who want to relax but also adventure, a day tour in Guilin City with a 1-day hiking tour at Longji Terraced Fields fits the bill.
The Must-See Three
The Li River: Taking a cruise from Guilin to Yangshuo is a must-do activity for most travelers.
Yangshuo, about 1½ hour’s drive from Guilin, is a place to enjoy picturesque countryside scenery. Having a ride in the countryside and going bamboo rafting on the Yulong River are great ways to relax in rural beauty.
Longji Rice Terraces, about 1½ hours’ drive from Guilin city, is one of the must-visit places in Guilin. Appreciate the stunning cultivated scenery, and visit ancient Zhuang and Yao minority villages to experience traditional local life.
In Guilin's Downtown
Night Activities That Will Enrich Your Trip
In Guilin Downtown, you can stroll by the lake in the city center or take a boat ride.
In Yangshuo, you can stroll along West Street to buy some special souvenirs, or find a quiet cafe to have a cup of coffee. Alternatively, enjoy the night performance - Impression Liu Sanjie.
We Can Help to Maximize Your Stay in Guilin
If you are interested in staying in Guilin for a visa-free tour, please see our most popular Guilin layover tour below for inspiration:
- 3-Day Guilin and Yangshuo Tour - Essence of Guilin
Or contact us to design a tour according to your requirements. We will pick you up at Guilin Liangjiang Airport and drive you to your hotel.