Best Hotels at the Great Wall
The Great Wall is not a typical tourist sight, but a long, long wall with many sections, usually in remote (and mountainous) areas. To avoid crowds, especially at popular sections, you are suggested to stay at the foot of the Great Wall for a night and get up early. Here are our recommendations for hotels at some of the popular sections around Beijing.
At Mutianyu — Brickyard Retreat at Mutianyu Great Wall
Mutianyu is the grandest fully-restored Great Wall section open to tourists. There are many local guesthouses and mid-level hotels concentrated in and around Mutianyu Village, at the foot the Great Wall.
Brickyard Retreat at Mutianyu Great Wall is reconstructed from a cultural revolution tile factory by Beijing expats. It aims to provide an environmentally-sustainable and Western-style countryside hotel.
- Chinese: 慕田峪瓦厂小家
- Address: 130 Beigou Village, Bohai Town, Huairou District, Beijing
- Great Wall: 15 minutes' drive
- Downtown Beijing: 1½ hours' drive
- Highlights: green gardens, original brick rooms, Great Wall views from the hotel
- Public facilities: restaurant, bike/car hire, game room, gift shop, spa center, Brickyard Lodge café, shuttle service, free Wi-Fi
- Rooms: 25 guestrooms and 9 luxury homes. Some rooms are air-conditioned and include a seating area with an iPod docking station. Some rooms have private kitchen and dishwasher.
Other Recommended Hotels at Mutianyu
- Home of the Great Wall (resort)
- The Great Wall Story Hotel (guesthouse accommodation)
At Gubeikou/Jinshanling — the Great Wall Box House Beijing
Gubeikou was an important Great Wall pass, one of the most attacked. This section is wild wall, well-preserved and unrepaired. Gubeikou village occupies a valley in the middle of the Gubeikou Great Wall section. Jinshanling, about 5km east of Gubeikou, is the most beautiful section of the Great Wall.
The Great Wall Box House Beijing is a guesthouse featuring modern architecture. Guests can see the Great Wall from its windows.
- Chinese: 团园古北口长城客栈
- Address: 18 Dongguanjia, Gubeikou Village, Miyun County
- Great Wall: 50 m to Gubeikou, 5 km by foot to Jinshanling
- Downtown Beijing: about 1½ hours' drive
- Highlights: Very close to the Great Wall, you can walk there in a few minutes, and drive to the Jinshanling section in 20 minutes.
- Public facilities: shared bathroom, courtyard, bike/car hire, restaurant, free Wi-Fi
- Rooms: This hostel only has five rooms, some with ensuite bathroom and iPod docking station.
Other Recommended Hotels at Gubeikou
- Chengtao Xiaozhu Folk Inn (local guesthouse)
At Juyongguan — the Juyongguan Great Wall Hotel Beijing
Juyongguan is the closest Great Wall section to Beijing, just 60 km (37 mi) from downtown Beijing. It was one of the most important forts on the Great Wall. It's wheelchair-friendly in the reconstructed valley-bottom fort area. There are star-rated hotels and family inns near Juyongguan.
The Juyongguan Great Wall Hotel Beijing is a 4-star hotel at the foot of the Great Wall, with classic Chinese-style architecture.
- Chinese: 北京居庸关长城古客栈
- Location: inside Juyong Pass Fort, Changping District
- Great Wall: 3 minutes' walk
- Downtown Beijing: about 1 hour's drive
- Highlights: This hotel is inside the Great Wall fortress walls, and the staff can help you organize your hiking trip to the wall on the surrounding mountains.
- Public facilities: karaoke, indoor pool, restaurant, bar, meeting rooms, gift shop, free Wi-Fi
- Rooms: All rooms are air-conditioned, with flat-screen TV, safety deposit box, ensuite bathroom, hair dryer, etc. 4-star facilities.
At Badaling — Commune by the Great Wall
Badaling was the first Great Wall section open to the public as a tourist attraction. It has been developed over half a century, and has the most tourist facilities.
Commune by the Great Wall is a 5-star hotel. It's a private collection of modern-architecture boutique hotels, 200m from the Great Wall at 'Water Pass' (Shuiguan).
- Chinese: 长城脚下的公社
- Location: 53 Shuiguan Great Wall exit, G6 Beijing–Tibet Highway, Yanqing County
- Great Wall: 5 or 8 km (3 or 5 mi) to Badaling's Great Wall entrances, 1 km to the Shuiguan Great Wall entrance.
- Downtown Beijing: about 1 hour and 15 minutes' drive
- Highlights: Different designed by accomplished architects. It's not only a hotel to stay in, but also an architectural attraction in itself.
- Public facilities: restaurant, outdoor pool, fitness center, Great Wall shuttle bus, free Wi-Fi
- Rooms: Each room is air-conditioned, and features a flat-screen TV and ensuite bathroom. Some villas have seating areas for you to relax in the cloistered mountain environment.
Other Recommended Hotels at Badaling
- Beijing Badaling Qinglongquan Leisure Resort (resort)
- The Great Wall Courtyard Hostel (guesthouse)
- Beijing Leo Great Wall Hostel (hostel)
At Jiankou — You are not suggested to stay overnight there.
The Great Wall at Jiankou is wild wall and less-traveled. You don't need to get to the wall early to avoid crowds. Usually the wall is uncrowded anyway, and you can enjoy hiking anytime.
But if you really want to stay at the village for a night, please note that there are no star-rated hotels; only family inns are available. The family inns feature simple facilities, but are neat and clean. The inns offer food, but only local dishes.
Recommended Family Inns at Jiankou
Zhàoshì Shānjū (赵氏山居 /jaoww-shrr shan-jyoo/ 'Zhao Clan Mountain Residence'): This inn attracts many Great Wall photographers, and you can see their pictures on the wall. It's the most popular inn in Xizhazi village, at the foot of the Jiankou ridge. This place is a favorite for Chinese hikers, and not much English is spoken there.
Yáng Èr (杨二 /yang urr/ ' Yang [surname] Two'): Rooms are set around a vegetable-patch courtyard. The owners raise chickens themselves, and you can taste healthy local dishes. The rooms are simple but neat, and some rooms have private bathrooms. No English is spoken there.
Recommended Great Wall Tours
If you are planning a Great Wall tour, see our guide to how to plan a Great Wall tour. Or see our recommended tours for inspiration:
- Essence of Beijing Tour: 4 Days Beijing Tour with the Great Wall
- The most beautiful hiking route: 1-Day Simatai-West-to-Jinshanling Great Wall Hiking Tour
More Travel Tips for Visiting the Great Wall
- Best Times to Visit the Great Wall
- Outstanding Ways to Visit the Great Wall
- Best Hiking Routes on the Great Wall
- 10 Top FAQs about the Great Wall
- Select the Most Suitable Section to Visit