The Chairman Mao Memorial Hall is dedicated to the veneration of Mao Zedong. Inside of the memorial hall placed the coffin of Chairman Mao Zedong, the founder of the People's Republic of China.
The Chairman Mao Zedong Memorial Hall was first built in November, 1976 and finished in August 1977. The front gate of the memorial hall is decorated with a gold-lettered tablet. 44 purplish red granite pillars stand on the grand base, supporting the roof decorated with golden gazed tiles. The building is composed of the North Hall, Memorial Hall, and South Hall.
The North Hall is the place where people hold the public memorial activities in front of the picture of Chairman Mao Zedong. In the center of the hall sits the statue of Chairman Mao. Behind the statue, there is a huge woolen needlepoint tapestry shows the picture of beautiful mountains and rivers.
The Memorial Hall is the center of the Memorial Hall. The white marble wall is decorated with 17 Chinese characters which mean "Long live of great leader Chairman Mao Zedong". The crystal coffin is placed at the center of the hall. On the white marble wall, there carved some poems written by Chairman Mao and Guo Moruo. On the east and west side, there are lounge halls.
Besides, there are also memorial halls of Zhou Enlai, Liu Shaoqi, and Zhu De.
- 6-Day Beijing Winter Tour with Skiing in a 2022 Olympic Winter Games Venue
- 1-Day Beijing Hutong Tour
A Customer's Perspective
"I was surprised how respected Chairman Mao is still. At school in England we learned that he was a dictator who treated his people badly, and ignored their human rights. Therefore I could not understand why his memorabilia still sells well, his portraits still hang in public places and his body is raised every morning in Tian'anmen Square and the Chinese people still come in great numbers to pay their respects.
"Chairman Mao is seen to have been the leader responsible for uniting all the regions of China with the same language, weights, measures, and money, so the whole country could become the success that it is now, not only competing with the rest of the world, but dominating it. It seems that time allows us to forget some of the things we had to go through as long as the end product is what the people want."
— Lynne Buddin, 3-time China Highlights Customer
- Location: at the south of Tian'anmen Square.
- Transportation: Take bus 1, 2, 4, 17,20, 52, 57 and 802 and get off at Tian'anmen Station. Or tourists can take subway and get off at Tian'anmen and Qianmen Station.
- Ticket: Free
- Open Time: From 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. from Tuesday to Sunday.
Restrictions and Requirements:
- There is a security check at the entrance. Handbag, backpacks, cameras, bottles, and beverages are not allowed to be take to the Hall. Tourists can deposit their belongings.
- Please dress neatly and behave respectfully.
- Please turn off your phone or mute it.