Beijing is not just an exclusive destination for sightseeing: it doubles as a location for popular street markets and shops that date back to the Qing Dynasty era. There you can buy antiques of all kinds to take back home, but remember to bargain with vendors to avoid high prices. Here are the most famous and popular antique markets to visit while on a Beijing tour...
1. Panjiayuan Antiques Market
- Location: West of Panjiayuan Bridge, East Third Ring, Chaoyang District.
- Open: Monday – Friday: 8:30am – 5:30pm; weekends: 4:30am – 5:30pm
- Bus 34, 36, 51, 674, 28 to Panjiayuan (潘家园).
Panjiayuan Antiques Market is a nice selection if you are out for a cultural tour of Beijing. You will find life-size antiques, including Buddhist statues, as well as Chinese jade, porcelains, furniture, paintings and calligraphy from stores and street stalls.
On weekend mornings (between about 6am to 8am), you can get great prices bargaining with the vendors.
2. Liulichang Antiques Street
- Location: Hepingmenwai, Xuanwu District
- Bus 6, 14, 15, 25, 45, 50 to Liulichang (琉璃厂).
- Open: 8am – 6pm
Liulichang Antiques Street is a place where poets and scholars used to gather during the Qing Dynasty era. It is characterized by little old-style shops selling paintings, ink stones, old books and other items. Strolling along this street also takes you back to historical China.
3. Baoguosi Cultural Market
- Location: 1 Baoguosi, Guang'anmennei Street, Xicheng District
- Open: 9am – 4pm
- Bus 5, 6, 19, 38, 40 or 57 to Inner Guang'an Gate (Guang'anmennei 广安门内).
Baoguo Temple, an ancient temple in the south, has been turned into a comprehensive antiques bazaar, from where you can buy souvenirs, stamps and other commodities. More sellers go there during weekends than working days.
4. Beijing Curio City
- Location: 21 Dongsanhuan South Road, Chaoyang District
- Open: 9:30am – 6:30pm
- Bus 300, 28, 368 or 607 to Panjiayuan Stop or Shilihe Stop.
Covering an area of 5.8 acres, this Beijing Curio City is the largest antiques trading center in Asia, with more than 500 stores selling paintings, antique furniture, jade, carvings, ancient porcelain and other items. Thousands also go there for Folk Culture festival and traditional exhibitions. Beijing Antique City features a traditional Chinese atmosphere.
5. Liangma Antique Market
- Location: The address is 27 Liangmaqiao Road, Chaoyang District.
- Open: 9:30am – 7pm
- Bus 402, 413, 418, 420, 701 or 503 to Anjialou.
Liangma Antique Market is a place to buy small-size antiques such as ancient coins and clocks. You can also find large antiques such as wooden furniture designed with Chinese features, as well as carpets and jade wares. Expect to find higher price tags in Liangma Antique Market than any other antique market in Beijing and hence prepare to bargain your way out.
- 6-Day Beijing Winter Tour with Skiing in a 2022 Olympic Winter Games Venue
- One Day Beijing Highlights Private Tour
Other Places to Buy Antiques
Xiushui (Silk Street Market)
- Location: 8 Xiushui Dongjie, Jianguomen (建国门秀水东街8号).
- Subway line 8 to Shichahai Station, Exit A2. Walk for 2 minutes.
This is a mall comprising of stalls selling all kinds of items. It is recommended as a place to buy antiques — jewelry, silk items, tea and teapots, toys and knock-offs among other Chinese items. However, be sure to bargain hard and take care of your property since there are pickpockets.
Yandai Xiejie (Old Pipe Street)
- Location: Yandai Xiejie (烟袋斜街).
- Bus 5, 60, 107, or 834 to the Drum Tower. Walk for 100 meters.
Originally renowned as a site for long-term pipe vendors, Yandai Xiejie shopping street is located near an 800-year-old hutong neighborhood close to Houhai. You will enjoy sampling a variety of antiques, art galleries and cafes, as well as buying goods from minority shops.
Visiting Antique Markets with China Highlights
- One-Day Hutong Walking Tour can be customized to include a visit to any antique market of your choice, in addition to visiting popular hutongs.
- 4-Day Beijing for Families with Kids Tour can include a visit to Beijing antique shopping places that you can enjoy with kids.
- Our 8-Day Beijing–Xi'an–Shanghai private intercity tour can be customized to include visiting the antique markets of your choice.