The Science and Technology Museum in Beijing was first opened in 1988 to further the scientific understanding and curiosity of its visitors. It is China's only state-level comprehensive science and technology museum. Each one of its four floors is full of exhibits, activities and experiments to entice every visitor into the exploration of a world of wonder. Some of the areas of interest are aerospace engineering, transportation, machines, and the environment.
The museum has five exhibition halls that contain the permanent exhibition collection. There is also a hall for temporary exhibitions, four special effects theaters and multiple labs, classrooms, and lecture halls.
Exhibits on Display
Exhibits include breakthroughs in science, acoustics and telecommunications, energy and transportation, new synthetic materials, etc. The glory of ancient China's scientific achievements is also showcased in the museum. Interactive devices abound. People can get a first-hand experience with state-of-the-art technologies.
Science Paradise Hall
Located on the first floor this "Paradise" for younger visitors is full of hands-on experiments and games to pique the interest of children from three to ten-years-old. There is a Happy Farm, Cheerful Water Bay, a Science Castle and more.
Glory of China Hall
This hall aims to promote the accomplishments of ancient China in science and technology. You can try your hand at the art of paper-making, investigate the healing powers of Chinese acupuncture, and learn about the four greatest inventions of ancient China: printing, gunpowder, paper-making and the compass.
Exploration and Discovery Hall
Exhibits in this hall focus on scientific exploration. Eight theme areas in this hall present visitors with the beauty that is scientific discovery. You will leave this second floor area with a sense of the awe and wonder that come with the exploration of science.
- 6-Day Beijing Winter Tour with Skiing in a 2022 Olympic Winter Games Venue
- Beijing Traditional Food Tour
Sci-Tech and Life Hall
This hall focuses on the sci-tech that makes ordinary life extraordinary. From health and agriculture to machinery and transportation, technology touches every aspect of our lives making our everyday tasks simpler and more convenient.
Challenge and Future Hall
The seven sections of the Challenge and Future Hall on the fourth floor are themed around areas of crucial issues and challenges that humanity faces. Each section highlights innovation and looks forward to the future.
Seeing a film at the Science and Technology Museum is an event all by itself. The Museum has four theaters, each equipped with a different special effect. The Dynamic Motion Theater has sections of seats that move at certain times during the show. The Dome Theater is specially shaped to present planetarium shows. The IMAX theater is one of the world's most advanced movie experiences. The 4-D theater presents a 3-D movie partnered with environmental effects like smell and touch.
- 4-Day Beijing Private Tour to Visit the Great Wall at Night
- Half-Day Beijing Walking Tour in a Neighborhood
- Phone Number: +86 10 5904 1000
- Open: 9:30-17:00 from Tuesday to Sunday, (except for legal holidays, Chinese New Year's Eve and the first day and second day of Chinese New Year.) Last entry at 16:00.
Main Exhibition Halls:
Adult ticket: 30 yuan / person
Student ticket: 20 yuan / person full-time undergraduate and below degree students (excluding adult education) with valid documents
Child ticket: 15 yuan / person minors 18 years of age or less, not accompanied by an adult (except national holidays, holidays, Children's Day and summer vacation).
Science Paradise Hall
Child Ticket (3-10 years old): CNY 20
Adult Ticket: CNY 10
Adult ticket for adults: CNY 30/ person
Student ticket for students: CNY 20/ person full-time undergraduate and below degree students (excluding adult education) with valid documents
(Children under 4-feet and adults over 70 years are not allowed in the Motion Theater.)
- Food: Dining room: located in southeast corner of underground first floor.
- Auxiliary Facilities: The information desk on the first floor provides consultation service and is equipped with public telephone, banks, ATM machine, umbrellas, bassinets and wheelchairs. Lockers are also available.
Location and Transportation
The Science and Technology Museum is located in the central part of Olympic Park, north of the National Stadium.
Address: 5 Beichen East Road, Chaoyang District (1 kilometer north of the Bird's Nest)
- Take 311, 328, 379, 484, 594, 617, 751, 973, Yuntong 110 or Zhuan 40 to Walinankou Station.
- Take Yuntong 110, 310, 328, 379, 419, 425, 484, 518, 594, 617, 695, 751, 913 to Baofang Station.
- Take 301, 319, 466, 653, 905, 984, Express line 3 to Huizhongbeili Station.
- Take 108, 124, 379, 415, 419, 426, 518, 538, 653, 984, Te 11 to Datun South Station.
- Take line 8 to Olympic Park Station and walk north for 13 minutes.
- Take line 8 to the South Gate of Forest Park Station.
- Take line 5 to Datun East Road Station.